Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Rialto

Where would a Vintage Louisvillian pop in to see a movie? Several places- but one of the top picks was the Rialto on 4th Street- serving Louisville's movie goers from 1921 until 1968. Here it is still under construction around 1920:

Up and running in 1942:

And the interior:

Oops- 1969- somebody needed a parking lot:

Would love to have been there for all of the great (now old) films that hit that big screen One of the many was likely Key Largo from 1948.

(Sorry kids- this one is "Suitable Only for Adults.") Finally got around to watching this in its entirety and I highly recommend it. Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall, and Edward G. Robinson all in one place. One of those films that makes you wonder, "HOW did these people wind up being so cool?" Here's some enticement:

2 comments:

  1. This was my favorite theater - when they decided to tear it down, I really thought about just going down and sitting in the lobby in an effort to stop the demolition. And I was only 13 or 14 or I may have done it. It was such a beautiful, magical place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome pictures of the theater!!I wish that I could go back in time. I wonder if there are many places like this that have been preserved.I enjoyed the preview of the movie as well!

    ReplyDelete