Monday, November 28, 2011

1924 Pumpkin Nut Pie

The food of the 1920's is something I have enjoyed doing some research on and experimenting with. One of my most valuable references has been my 1924 copy of the Modern Priscilla Cook Book:
Modern Priscilla was a magazine which ran from the late 19th Century until 1930. One of the best recipes I have tested from this book is Pumpkin Nut Pie, which some good friends and I had most recently this past Thanksgiving:
Here is the recipe, exactly as it appears in the book. I use canned pumpkin (pure pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie filling) instead of the instructions here on preparing pumpkin. And, of course, baking time may need adjustment depending on how quick or slow your oven is. Good luck and if you have any problems, let me know and I will do my best to help:

1 cup prepared pumpkin                                   2 cups milk
1 cup brown sugar                                            2 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg                                         2 eggs
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon                                     1/2 cup grated cocoanut
1 teaspoon salt                                                 Pastry
1/2 cup nut meats (chopped)

Mix ingredients, pour into a pastry-lined plate, and bake in a moderately hot oven.
Time in cooking, 45 minutes. Temperature, 400 deg. 5 minutes, 350 deg. 40 minutes, Servings, 6.
To Prepare Pumpkin: -Three tablespoons pumpkin flour, one cup cold water. Let pumpkin flour stand in the cold water thirty minutes, then simmer slowly ten minutes. Cool pumpkin and then us as ordinary strained pumpkin.

No comments:

Post a Comment